hat a day
yesterday was! Around nine o'clock most of the kids that come to Aljaba
gathered in the Malokamazonas to celebrate the July and August birthdays. There
were games and a time of prayer then we topped it off with scrumptious cake and
ice cream. A side note: Colombia has the best cake I have ever had! The ice
cream here is good as well, because it has more of a handmade texture to it. We
had brownie and fresa(strawberry), the kids’ favorite.
After most of the kids had gone home, the rest of us ate lunch and began to decorate for the 15th birthday of one of Aljaba's girls. A former tutor at Aljaba was in charge of the decorating. He is so artsy and creative! He did an awesome job as you can see from the pics. The theme was butterflies and blue. So from around 2pm-7pm we decorated-the party began at 8:30ish. At six Dami and I had fun getting dressed, doing her hair, makeup, and painting her nails. We made some good memories.... Colombians really go all out for the 15th birthday. It is a mark of womanhood for them, so this was a huge deal. There were about 40 people at the party. When it started everyone was sitting in the Malokamazonas as Dami made her entrance with Luis (one of the oldest Aljaba children) as her escort. This was the sweetest moment and it almost made me cry....They along with a few others have grown up together at Aljaba practically making them brothers and sisters...And to see the fruit God has produced through Aljaba is just breathe-taking to see. Then people took turns sharing different memories about Dami; Darwin played a picture slide, and Franco sang a song he wrote for her. It was so beautiful! The guys then took turns dancing the Waltz with her, eventually everyone joined in. The night finished with dinner, cake, and presents at 12:30. I will never forget this night. It was a joy to get to participate in Dami's 'mark of womanhood'. She is such a joyful, smiley person...She brings her sun shine wherever she goes. I cannot wait to see how God will use her and mold her for His glory! |
A ugust began a new chapter for me here in Leticia. I began alternating teaching English one week with teaching a physical activity such as art, embroidery, sewing, exercise, etc. the next. For the most part my weekly schedule is teaching the tutors Monday morning and planning me week's lesson for the kids; On Tuesday I do my grocery shopping, work on updating the info for the each child's sponsor, and doing whatever else there is to do. Wednesday I teach Group 1 with ages ranging from kinder garden to third grade; Thursday I teach Group 2(4th-5th grade) and Group 3 and 4(middle and high schoolers) on Friday. On Wednesday nights I sometimes attend a small Bible study in a home with people from my church, otherwise I head home by 5pm to make dinner, read, and watch the news. Friday and Sunday night I gather with the church for a time of prayer, worship, and study....I so look forward to this time during the week! I love ending my week in worship a...
Comments
Post a Comment